File Transfer ProtocolsA file is a series of bytes combined with attributes like file name, file
access descriptors, etc. As a series of bytes
converted to a string form and back, any protocol that allows to transfer
text is also a file transfer protocol(not to be confused with the
The list of file transfer protocols here is far from being complete.
File Sharing Software
In the context of the current section the creation of
connections is not considered File Sharing, unless the creation of the
point-to-point connections is a subtask of one-to-many publishing.
- Ares Galaxy is a Borland
Delphi 7 (Windows specific) project that depends on multiple closed source
- Hydranode is a C++ GPLv2
project that uses the Boost library.
- Phex is a Java project that is
horribly difficult to build due to the difficulty of satisfying its
- qBittorrent is based on the Qt GUI framework.
- Shareaza is a Windows
specific GPL project.
- Tribler is an academic project
for getting millions of € grant money and is hopelessly broken.
- Vuze/Azureus BitTorrent client.
- XNap is a Java project under GPL.
- Xorro P2P
Closed Source File Sharing Software
In the case of closed source software statements about lack of backdoors, lack of malware, respect of end user privacy, respect of end user anonymity tend to be practically impossible to verify. Closed source P2P-software, including file sharing software, can mask its participation in an DDoS-attack as an innocent P2P-traffic.
- Ares Galaxy Professinal (local copy)
- bitrope.com offers Windows specific software.
- fopnu.com seems to be from the same party as the tixati.com
- intelpeers.com offers
Windows specific software.
Nonanonymous Server Storage Based File Sharing
- ares_galaxy_professional_free.exe added by martin_vahi on 2020-09-19 20:29:09. [details]
- rfc977.txt added by martin_vahi on 2020-05-04 15:41:27. [details]
- 1990_04_23_Wide_Area_Information_Servers_WAIS_Interface_Protocol_Prototype_Functional_Specification_by_Brewster_Kahle_and_Franklin_Davis_and_Harry_Morris_and_Jim_Salem_and_Tracy_Shen_and_Rod_Wang_and_John_Sui_and_Mark_Grinbaum.pdf added by martin_vahi on 2020-05-04 13:02:10. [details]